Top Tips for July....
- Add supers ahead of bees needs
- Ensure entrances are not too big so robbing by other bees and wasps can be prevented
- Make sure you have all the equipment you need to extract honey
- Monitor varroa to ensure that it's not getting out of control. Main treatment is in August after removing the honey crop.
Top Tips for August....
- Take off honey at early stage in the month
- Ensure bees have sufficient provisions
- Ensure the supers are clean and dry, and protected from wax moth
- Apply varroa treatment as necessary.
Top Tips for September....
- Check on how much honey is stored
- Top up with syrup as necessary
- Learn to tell how much stores there are in a hive by hefting
- Remove queen excluder if supers removed and clean
- Check varroa treatment has worked.